Open Space Affects Livability
Of all the factors that go into a community being rated a best place to live, open space certainly rates near the top of the list. In Castle Rock, CO, rated one of the best places to live in the country by Livability.com, open space is certainly not in short supply. In fact, open space is a priority for the town.
“Castle Rock has some of the most beautiful trails and open space in Colorado. With 95 miles of trails and just under 6,000 acres of open space that define the region’s most prominent features, you never know what kind of adventure will be waiting for you,” states the Town of Castle Rock website.
Open Space a Priority at Miller’s Landing
At Miller’s Landing we’ve made open space a priority in our plan’s design. Miller’s Landing is a new 65-acre multi-use development near the center of town at the intersection of the Plum Creek Parkway and I-25. Miller’s Landing is creating a vibrant, pedestrian friendly town center with prime locations for retail, restaurant and entertainment venues.
The town center will be supported by attractive multi-family housing options and versatile, modern office spaces. Unlike other developments, Miller’s Landing will also offer large areas of open space with paths for walking and bicycling.
Open Space Supports Mental Health
Open space is more than attractive to look at. It also offers a number of health benefits. According to the National Recreation and Park Association, these include:
- Stress Reduction – Visual exposure to nature, including trees, grass and flowers, is an effective way to reduce stress, particularly if initial stress levels are high.
- Better Mental Health and Functioning – Brief experiences with nature, even viewing outdoor settings, can help reverse mental fatigue. Natural settings provide a break from the intense focus required at work and school and may result in higher productivity. Research has shown that workers with views of nature have higher job satisfaction, report fewer illnesses and stay on task better.
- Improved Mindfulness and Creativity – Time spent in nature and open space is mentally restorative. It promotes curiosity and fosters new and more flexible ways of thinking in creative professionals.
- Improved Mood and Attitude – Studies show that walking through open spaces with trees lowers frustration levels and increases brain activity to a state resembling meditation. Walking through crowded treeless retail and commercial areas did not have the same effect.
Business Insider recently listed more benefits of open space, all backed by scientific research. These include:
- Improved short-term memory. A University of Michigan study found that students who took a memory test, then walked through an arboretum after the test, improved their results by 20 percent on a second test. Walking through an urban area resulted in very little difference in test results.
- Better vision. Outdoor activity may reduce the risk of developing myopia, or nearsightedness, in children.
- Improved concentration. Time spent in nature, even simply viewing the outdoors, has a positive impact on concentration. People who walked through nature before taking a copyediting test scored higher than those who walked through an urban area or simply relaxed.
- Sharper thinking and creativity. When asked to repeat sequences of numbers, students who walked in nature prior to the test were much more accurate.
- Reduced risk of early death. The amount of green/open space in the living environment had a positive impact on the perceived general health of residents according to a Dutch study. A follow-up study found a lower level of disease among residents who lived close to open space.
A Focus on Open Space
Miller’s Landing is a new kind of multi-use development. Unlike the bland office parks of yesterday, or the crowed offices of downtown, Miller’s Landing offers plenty of area to get outdoors, relax and meet with others. It also offers close and easy access to 300-acre Philip S. Miller Park, the area’s premier outdoor recreation park.
About Castle Rock, Colorado
Castle Rock is a growing community located in the south Denver metropolitan area on the I-25 corridor. With Denver and Colorado Springs both close by, the town offers easy access to big city amenities while maintaining its small town charm.
For more than 20 years, Castle Rock has rated as one of the best places to live and start a business in Colorado.
Miller’s Landing offers an exciting place to locate your home or business. We invite you to learn more.