Despite all of the talk about remote work becoming the new normal and replacing the office, a recent survey of more than 2,000 office workers shows that commercial office space still has a valuable place in the modern world of work.
Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) conducted the survey of office workers around the world late last year. JLL is a leading global provider of real estate and investment management services.
The company found that a large percentage of employees still value working in an office environment, at least part of the time.
According to the survey, the amount of at-home work is expected to double from 1.2 days pre-pandemic to 2.4 days in the future. About 72 percent of employees reported they want to continue to have the option to work from home, with most saying two days per week is the preferred amount.
Nearly 75 percent of respondents believe their employer should support their desire to work at home. One third of these respondents would also like a dedicated allowance from their employers for home work situations.
Hybrid Work Preferred
Yet strictly working from home doesn’t satisfy all work needs and work styles. The survey showed nearly 50 percent of employees prefer hybrid work situations that offer workplace choice and combine work from home with in-office work. Another 24 percent of respondents reported they prefer to work exclusively in an office.
When combined, nearly three-quarters of employees want the option of working in a dedicated commercial office space at least part of the time. An earlier report from JLL titled the Human Performance Report found that 64 percent of millennials miss working in an office. About 80 percent of high performing employees said they missed their offices greatly.
Other results from the survey include:
- 71 percent of respondents would like more flexible schedules in the future.
- 57 percent would prefer more workspace options in the office.
- 43 percent would like the option to occasionally work from co-working facilities.
- Half of respondents prefer workplaces that offer connection to the outdoors or open space.
- Half would like offices with areas that foster collaboration and engagement with co-workers.
- Many also seek places that allow them privacy to work solo.
A New Purpose
According to JLL, the office is evolving from just a place to go to work into a destination for collaboration, career development and problem solving. Survey results back this up.
According to the survey, respondents see the commercial office as a space to:
- Gain management support or manage employees – 70 percent
- Collaborate with co-workers and conduct meetings – 70 percent
- Resolve work-related issues – 63 percent
- Socialize with co-workers – 60 percent
- Learn, grow and advance careers – 52 percent
Poised for the Future
Miller’s Landing in Castle Rock, CO, is ready for the evolution in commercial office space. We’re currently seeking tenants for our modern 150,000 square-foot multi-tenant commercial office building. The building will offer versatile office spaces that meet the higher standards of the new normal working environment.
H@W subsidiary company Rise Commercial Property Services is handling marketing of the new office building. Rise is a leader in proactive and responsive real estate services. The new office is expected to be available in 18 to 24 months.
Features of the new office building include:
- Flexible design that allows tenants to create work spaces that meet their needs.
- A modern HVAC system that provides a healthy indoor office environment that meets new normal standards.
- Sustainable construction and efficient building systems to reduce operating costs.
- Technological infrastructure that uses the SmartTown design philosophy to provide the office building and the entire Miller’s Landing development with the convenience, speed and features of large-scale smart city technology.
- Easy access to the large swaths of open space at Miller’s Landing.
Miller’s Landing offers more than modern commercial office spaces. We’re creating a vibrant new town center. The pedestrian-friendly town center will feature exciting retail, restaurant and entertainment options, modern offices, a resort hotel and spa, conference and meeting facilities, residential options, and ample open space with stunning views of the Colorado Front Range.
Castle Rock is a growing community in the south Denver metropolitan area. Located on the I-25 corridor, the town offers convenient access to nearby Denver to the north and Colorado Springs to the south. Known for its small-town charm, Castle Rock is a popular community with well-educated professionals.
Miller’s Landing is creating a unique space for professional growth and personal adventure. We invite you to learn more.