Best Places to Live have Vibrant Main Streets
A dynamic main street can make the difference between a community being ranked as a best place to live or simply just another community.
At Miller’s Landing in Castle Rock, CO, we are designing a bicycle and pedestrian-friendly main street that will serve as an anchor of our new 65-acre mixed use commercial development. Located in the heart of Castle Rock, main street at Miller’s Landing will offer an exciting mix of retail, restaurants and entertainment options supported by modern offices, a resort hotel and spa, conference and meeting facilities, ample open space and easy access to the region’s top outdoor recreation park.
Miller’s Landing will not only enhance Castle Rock’s reputation as a best place to live, it will elevate the community as a desirable place to work for many local and regional employees.
Main Street Benefits
Main streets play an important role in the economic and social vitality of a community. Bring Back Main Street, a group that is working to find solutions to ensure Canada’s main streets recover from COVID-19, lists a number of benefits main streets offer. The group’s blog posting titled “Why Main Street Matter” lists the following benefits:
- Main streets serve as economic drivers. They can be major employment hubs, provide a wide range of job opportunities and are important retail destinations. In addition, main streets also serve as incubators for new, independently owned businesses.
- Hubs for social and cultural activity. The main streets in communities ranked as best places to live often offer restaurants, bars and taverns, entertainment facilities, unique public spaces, public art and civic and government institutions. Main street is where people go to relax, have fun and socialize.
- Support community health and safety. The density of businesses on main streets encourages walking and bicycling, reduces vehicle traffic and traffic accidents, and lowers carbon emissions.
- Make communities more resilient. Main street businesses are often independent and locally owned. Money spent on main street tends to stay in the community and support the local economy.
- Promote a sense of community. While the pandemic has certainly prevented social gathering, main streets have historically served as locations where residents meet and gather.
- Great value for investment. Main street can account for a significant portion of a community’s tax base. Because of the concentration of businesses found on main streets, they tend to punch above their weight in terms of the economic benefit they provide to a town or city. Main streets also play an important role in the vitality of a community, which increases property values throughout the town or city.
Attributes of Successful Main Streets
According to the urban planning, design and marketing firm PlaceMakers, most successful main streets share a number of common attributes. In their blog posting “What Makes a Good Main Street Work?” they list a number of attributes that make main streets more likely to thrive. They include:
- Designed for pedestrians. Well designed main streets encourage walking, browsing and lingering. They need ample sidewalk space and businesses that abut or are close to the sidewalk, safe and convenient crosswalks, relatively short block lengths and vehicle traffic moving at safe, slower speeds.
- A mix of local and national businesses. Local businesses are preferred, but a few national chains sprinkled in won’t throw off the balance. Too many national chains, however, and you’ve created a shopping mall experience.
- High density but designed at a human scale. Main streets require a minimum business density to make them walkable. But too much density can be overwhelming and lead to congestion.
- Access to nature. It can be as simple as well-placed flower boxes and trees or include parks and open spaces.
Creating a New Town Center
At Miller’s Landing we are creating a new commercial development that will enhance Castle Rock’s already stellar reputation. Located on the I-25 corridor in the south Denver metropolitan region, Castle Rock is consistently ranked as one of the best places to live by a number of organizations.
At the heart of Miller’s Landing will be its vibrant town center. The town center will feature a pedestrian-oriented main street that captures the essence on an historical downtown. It’s a blend of classic and modern with an authentic “feel of place.” Main street’s wide sidewalks and space for outdoor dining and shopping will attract workers and visitors alike for entertainment and exploration.
The new town center at Miller’s Landing is not intended to compete with Castle Rock’s existing downtown, a charming mix of businesses, restaurants and parks. Instead, it will add an even greater variety of options to residents in the growing town.
The new town center will provide numerous benefits to Castle Rock. Currently, most local residents commute out of town for work. The businesses in the town center will offer local employment opportunities for town residents, which will cut down on commuting. It will also serve as a magnet to attract employees from throughout the Denver metro area, people who will spend money in the town center during their leisure time. And, much like downtowns everywhere, the Miller’s Landing town center will serve as an economic driver for Castle Rock.
Miller’s Landing also features plenty of open space for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. It’s a far cry from the packed, congested concrete canyons of downtown or the bland, soulless office parks found in many metro areas.
Miller’s Landing is best location in the region to start or locate your business. It’s an opportunity to be a part of a dynamic, new development in one of the area’s most desirable communities. Join us. Let’s build a successful future together.